From journey tourism in Africa and green-hushing to faith-based excursions and why pronouns matter, these tendencies are what are driving journey choice making and behavior, in addition to how we as expertise suppliers are hitting the candy spot of client calls for.
Leisure journey, and notably safari, is driving the restoration of journey and tourism in Africa. This in accordance with the Africa Journey Week Tendencies report launched this week at World Journey Market Africa, being held on the Cape City Worldwide Conference Centre this week.
Date launched by analysis agency ForwardKeys highlighted within the report reveals that every one the highest locations on the continent are displaying a marked enchancment in Q1 2023, from 2022, with the development persevering with into 2023.
What’s noticeable is that 4 out of the highest 10 locations are in East Africa and Tanzania are on observe to exceed pre-pandemic ranges in Q1 2023, illustrating the important function that East Africa will play within the restoration of journey in Africa.
Take a look at flight searches, the presence of South Africa, Tanzania and Kenya within the high half of the listing suggests curiosity in safari holidays heading into Q2. That is additional supported by the rise within the share of searches for South Africa and Kenya.
Additional highlights revealed within the tendencies report embrace:
- The rise of Journey Tourism: Namibia is a high performer on this regard, with Germany, France and Spain being key drivers of inbound tourism. For journey vacationers, it’s not nearly taking dangers but in addition about connecting with new cultures and landscapes whereas being bodily energetic.
- Netflix to advertise tourism and journey: After publicity to South African content material on Netflix, viewers had been 3.1 occasions extra prone to contemplate it as their high journey vacation spot. The publicity has sparked area of interest tourism choices like “marine safaris,” together with Kelp Forest Snorkelling.
- Travelling mild: In accordance with World Journey & Tourism Council (WTTC) and the Journey.com Group: 69% of travellers are on the lookout for sustainable journey choices in 2023. In response to this development, eco-conscious travellers at the moment are selecting to journey nearly luggage-free to scale back CO2 emissions, with many buying vacation clothes and necessities from native suppliers and donating this stuff to charities and communities in want earlier than their return flight.
- Accessible journey: The untapped market of accessible journey and tourism has the potential to broaden considerably on condition that 1.3 billion folks, or 16% of the world’s inhabitants, reside with disabilities. Safaris and different journey experiences have gotten extra accessible to folks with disabilities, with a multisensory method that capitalises on different senses like listening to, smelling, and tasting.
- Greenwashing vs Inexperienced-hushing: The other of greenwashing, the time period green-hushing refers to the truth that fewer corporations are publicising their eco targets and accomplishments. This results in an absence of accountability, missed alternatives, and lack of know-how sharing.
- The luxurious traveller is younger: The 2023 luxurious traveller is considerably youthful than in earlier years, on the lookout for a extra immersive journey expertise, connecting with the local people, and need to keep longer in a single place.
- Religion-based tourism: One of many tendencies recognized within the report is the potential for advertising faith-based excursions or experiences, which has confirmed in style amongst dedicated pilgrims or the culturally curious. Nations akin to Morocco, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, and Egypt have in style spiritual websites, and South Africa’s faith-based tourism market has a 2-4% share within the international market. The Muslim journey market additionally reveals super potential, with the variety of worldwide Muslim travellers set to develop from 160 million to 230 million by 2028.
- The rise of digital nomads: Whereas Namibia has already launched a Digital Nomad Visa, different nations like Mauritius and South Africa are nonetheless within the strategy of creating related programmes. Digital nomads search a way of neighborhood and need to totally immerse themselves in native cultures.
- LGBTQ+ and inclusivity: The LGBTQ+ market has been instrumental in main the worldwide tourism restoration after the pandemic. This journey market has important buying energy, and Africa is trying to appeal to this market. Nonetheless, whereas progress is being made, there are nonetheless misconceptions and challenges that should be addressed.
The Africa Journey Week Tendencies Report was launched on the official opening of World Journey Market within the Metropolis of Cape City this week and will be downloaded at: https://atwconnect.com/atw-trend-report-2023-3/